Review of Cost of Overtime Allowance and Travelling Allowance to Railway Servants
Measures to reduce cost and improve savings – Review of cost of Over Time Allowance (OTA) and Travelling Allowance (TA)
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
New Delhi, dated: 28.08.2020
The General Managers
All Zonal Railways
Sub: Measures to reduce cost and improve savings – Review of cost of Over Time Allowance (OTA) and Travelling Allowance (TA).
Ref: Railway Board’s letter No. 2015-B-235 dated 19.06.2020.
With the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, the budgeted earning target of the current year i.e. 2019-20 has been adversely affected. In view of this, the above referred instructions have been issued by the Board to adopt various economy, austerity and cost control measures so that liabilities are met within available funds.
2. Payment of OTA to Railway Servants governed by Para 10 of the Railway Servants (Hours of Work & Period of Rest) Rules, 2005 and Travelling Allowance is one of the steps to control expenditure and thus, a decision has been taken in a Board meeting held on 29.6.2020 that the cases of OTA and TA should be critically reviewed by the General Managers and a ceiling of 50% be imposed on payment of OTA and TA. A copy of Item No. 4 of the Minutes of the Board Meeting held on 29.06.2020 to discuss “Measures to reduce cost and improve saving” is enclosed for ready reference.
3. It may also be kept in mind that deferment of bills/payment is not expenditure control and maximum utilization of existing manpower within the stipulated working hours should be ensured.
4. It has been desired by the Board that the cases of payment of OTA and TA should be monitored closely by PCPOs and PFAs of the Zonal Railways.
5. Please acknowledge receipt.
DA: as above
Enclosure to Board’s letter No. 2020/E(LL)/OTA/1 dated 28.08.2020
Item No. 4 of the Minutes of the Board Meeting held on 29.06.2020 to discuss “Measures to reduce cost and improve saving”:
“Item No. 4: Impose 50% Ceiling on Over Time (Rs. 1300 Cr) and Travelling Allowance (Rs. 2300). There are other allowances which need to be reviewed by Zonal Railways and controlled. Broadly, such semi-variable allowances would be in the range of Rs. 13000 Cr. per annum.
Board’s decision: GMs to critically review and impose 50% Ceiling on booking of Over Time and Travelling Allowance.”
- Railway Employees Bonus 2020-21 October 7, 2021Read more…
- Grant of Dearness Relief to SRPF beneficiaries in receipt of ex-gratia payment – Revised rates effective from July 2017 to July 2019 April 12, 2021Read more…
- Cancellation of Periodical Transfer of Staff April 1, 2021Read more…
- Review of Cost of Overtime Allowance and Travelling Allowance to Railway Employees September 8, 2020Read more…
- 50 Percent of Railway officers and employees attend office with staggered times on every alternative day before further orders August 26, 2020Read more…
- Representations received from various HAG level Officers of Indian Railways regarding inconsistency in pay consequent to implementation of 7th CPC recommendations June 17, 2020Read more…
- Promotion of Non-gazetted Group C staff to Non-Selection posts – Railway Borad Circular No.37 November 15, 2019Read more…
- Earmarking Duty Pass (DP) Quota in Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto Express Type Trains November 5, 2019Read more…
- Grant of Dearness Allowance to Railway employees – Revised Rates effective from 01.07.2019 October 16, 2019Read more…
- Post Retirement Complimentary Pass (PRCP) facility – Indian Railway New Rules October 8, 2019Read more…